By: Inger Koppenhaver
I am a glass is half full kind of person… and so is my husband. With so many negatives in the world, why waste your time worrying about things that you can not change? Right? For example… it has been below zero degrees for most of the week this week with temperatures dropping down to almost -40 with a -45 to -50 degree windchill. (See my previous post for what this feels like: http://hidingthepeas.wordpress.com/2013/12/07/how-cold-is-too-cold/) Have we sat around lamenting about the weather? NO! (well, okay a little bit…) But, we have done loads of other things and compiled our short list for you today.
Top Ten Things to Do when the Temperature Drops Below Zero
10. Arts and Crafts: Yes, yes, our random “waiting for a rainy (er, snowy, er, cold) day” projects came out of the closets today! My kids “fun loomed” until they could loom no more, built a model airplane complete with paint and stickers and made a plan for a whole bunch of made from scratch crafts for Christmas.
9. Clean as a Whistle: Our house has never looked better. Have you heard of spring cleaning? Try below zero cleaning! It’s a blast…
8. We Saw the Light: My husband decided to grace our laundry room with a present this weekend… a brand new light! It is so bright it feels like you are walking outside. And it was just what we needed for a cold and dreary day. We are talking about putting some lawn chairs in there so we can soak up the rays.
7. Technology: My children finally learned to share the random technology gadgets we have in the house. Wow, that in itself is priceless.
6. Weird Science: My son conducted his very own, self motivated Science experiment… right outside on our porch! How fast does water freeze in weather like this… GO!
5. You Tube: My husband also had time to watch a how to video on making a stove out of a beer/pop can. I am not sure this counts as productive but heck, he was smiling!
4. Warmth from the Hearth: We discovered that baking warms up your house. So, we baked… A LOT. Heard of the Freshman 15? There may just be a Below Zero 10 lbs floating around our house when this freeze is over. But, mmmm mmmm good!
3. Hot Chocolate: The hot chocolate and marshmallows seem to have multiplied overnight!!! So, at least they aren’t gremlins, right? Nothing the matter with a few extra marshmallows (except if that contributes to #4 see above).
2. Blanket and a Book: My daughters were ever so happy to just stay cuddled in blankets with the book of their choice. I opted for a couch, my laptop, and a blanket (which is why this post is here today! lol) Great weekend to get caught up with a book or blog post or two…
1. Long Winter Movie: Yes, yes a below zero inside party cannot be complete without some snuggle time and a good movie! Family time at it’s best… although a good nap may just be in order, as well.
STAY WARM! What are your favorite BELOW ZERO activities?